Saint Michael Street,
Co Tipperary South
Bridewell Jail consists of three buildings, a keepers house in the centre with two cell blocks at either side. One of the cell blocks now houses the Family History Research Centre, while the second cell block is in the process of being restored to its former state.
Tel: +353 (0)62 6252725
Clonmel Farmers Market at Dudleys Mill,
Dudleys Mill, Coleville Road
Clonmel, Co Tipperary South
Open every Sun, all year round from 10.00 to 16.00.
A visit to the Clonmel Market at Dudleys Mills will be a fun day out for all the family.
There is food available on site such as gourmet burgers, Italian coffee etc., live music and children’s entertainment.
Free Entry, Free parking, Free Entertainment, Free bus from Clonmel
Tel: +353 (0)52 6184444
Famine Warhouse, Ballingarry,
Co. Tipperary South
23 miles (37 km) from Kilkenny along N76 and R691 to Ballingarry. North of Ballingarry towards ComMon. Follow signposts.
During the Great Famine the Warhouse was the scene of the 1848 Rebellion. The house exhibits the history of the Famine and mass emigration, the rebellion, high treason trials and penal exile of the Young Ireland leaders in Australia and their escapes to the U.S.A.
Here rebels under the leadership of the Protestant aristocrat, William Smith OBrien, M.P., besieged 47 police who had barricaded themselves into the McCormack farmhouse taking five children hostage. The exhibition places the Famine Rebellion in the context of 1848 as Europes Year of Revolutions in France, Germany, Italy, Austria and Hungary. Access to the ground floor for visitors with disabilities.
Open Apr - Sept: Wed - Sun 14.30 - 17.30 / Oct - Mar: Sat & Sun only 14.00 - 16.00 / Average Length of Visit: 40 minutes
Tel: +353 87 908 9972
Facilities: Exhibition, toilets, toilet for visitors with disabilities. Car/coach park
The Main Guard, Sarsfield Street, Clonmel,
Co. Tipperary South
James Butler, Duke of Ormond, built the Main Guard, that forms one end of the main street - Sarsfield Street in Clonmel town, in 1675 as the courthouse for the Palatinate of administrative area of County Tipperary.
In 1715, the Palatinate jurisdiction was extinguished. In about 1810, the ground floor, a loggia of open arches, was converted into shops, a basement excavated and additional floors inserted. It has been recently restored to its original form and the open arcade of sandstone columns is once again a feature of the streetscape.
During the restoration, some of its sandstone columns were found to have been 'reclaimed' from the now demolished abbey of Inislounaght at Marlfield.
Open 21st Apr - 30th Sept daily: 09.30 - 18.00 (Including weekends) / 1st Oct - 5th Oct daily: 09.30 - 17.30 / Last admission 45 mins. before closing. / Average Length of Visit: 40 mins.
Please note this site may close at short notice. Visitors are advised to check ahead before visiting.
Photography and Video is allowed but commercial photography requires permission.
Tel: +353 52 6127484
Facilities: Exhibitions, toilets, toilet for visitors with disabilities. Car parking close to the site.
Ormond Castle, Castle Park, off Castle Street, Carrick-on-Suir, Co. Tipperary South
Situated in the town on Carrick-on-Suir Ormond Castle is the best example of an Elizabethan manor house in Ireland. It was built by Thomas, the 10th Earl of Ormond in the 1560s. Closely integrated into the manor house are two 15th century towers. It is the country's only major unfortified dwelling from that turbulent period. The state rooms contain some of the finest decorative plasterwork in the country, including plasterwork portraits.
Open 21st Apr - 5th Oct: Daily 10.00 - 18.00 / Average Length of Visit: 1 hour
Guided Tours: Access by guided tour only / Maximum No: 20 - 25 / Duration: 45 minutes
Leaflet available in English, Irish, French, German, Italian, Spanish.
No photography or video allowed
Tel: +353 51 640787
Facilities: Toilets, Public car /coach parking close to the site.