Heywood Gardens, Ballinakill, Co. Laois
Completed in 1912, the property consists of gardens, lakes, woodland and architectural features. 7km southeast from Abbeyleix, off R432 to Ballinakill, in the grounds of Heywood Community School it was transferred to State ownership in Nov 1993 from the Salesian Fathers who had taken care of it since 1941.
The formal Gardens form the centre-piece of the property and were designed by the famous architect, Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944) and probably landscaped by Gertrude Jekyll (1843-1932).
It is one of four Gardens in Irland designed by him, the others being in the War Memorial Park, Lambay Island and Howth Castle. The Gardens are composed of four elements linked by a terrace that ran along the front of the house which now no longer exists.
An extensive re-planting programme is currently underway.
Open Oct to Mar: 08.30 to 17.30 / Apr and Sep: 08.30 to 19.00 / May to Aug: 08:30 to 21.00 / Average length of visit: 1 hour
There is also limited access for visitors with disabilities.
Photography and Video is allowed but permission required for commercial purposes.
No toilets on site / Weekend access through turnstile gate only.
Tel: +353 5787 33563 and +353 87 6675291
Facilities: Car park
Every effort has been made to make sure that the information contained in this Directory is accurate. Do be aware, however, that conditions of entry etc. can change at short notice and that telephone numbers and personalities may change also. We are very grateful to all who have contributed listings, who have provided details and additional images for use on www.DoFreeStuff.com. No responsibility can be accepted for errors. Please advise us of any corrections to be incorporated in the next update.